[Click] [OT] - Any suggestions on what hardware to buy?

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 21 12:26:59 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:21:42PM -0400, Roman Chertov composed:

> Alastair McKinley wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Apologies for the slightly off topic question.
> >
> > I want to run Click on a powerful machine with lots of interfaces
> > (10-50, the more the better), and I was hoping that someone here might
> > have an idea what to look for.
> >
> > I guess I want e1000 NICS to support polling.  Can I buy such a beast
> > off the shelf or should I build my own?  If I were to build it, what
> > would I get to support enough e1000 NICS?
>
> I know that you can buy multi-port Intel Pros (e1000).  So you can get
> by with fewer cards.  I think 4 is the maximum.  That would require you
> to have 10 PCI slots to get 40 ports.  I am not sure who builds such
> motherboards.  Also you want the motherboard to have PCI-E bus to allow
> for maximum throughput.  Ideally you would use a at least two processors
> for this thing.  Although I think this all depends on what traffic you
> expect to deal with.  If you expect the traffic to be small then you can
> get buy with a lesser machine.

One comment:  How much bandwidth do you expect to be pulling?

It might be substantially cheaper & easier to have a 48 port managed
ethernet switch, and use fixed VLAN configurations to concentrate it
down to 8 Gigabit cards in the host.  Since there is no whay you'd be
able to support high bandwidth for 10+ ports in software, you might as
well have the switch handle the port multiplexing etc.