[Click] Click questions

Runting runting at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:42:49 EDT 2005

Hi, Click development team, my name is Elaine, and I am a graduate =
student at CMU. I am currently doing a DDoS research project using the =
Click software router. I am currently having some problems working with =
Click, and I wonder if you could help me.

1) I had a hard time trying to make click compile as linuxmodule under =
an emulab-supported kernel. I was working with RHL90-UPDATE, and I made =
a lot effort manually resolving conflicts between the click patch and =
the emulab customized kernel. I was able to make it compile in the end, =
but when it came to linking, there were still 10-20 kernel symbols =
missing, either not implemented by the emulab kernel or not exported, =
spanning many different kernel source files. I wonder if you have any =
suggestions or if you are aware of any other people who have already =
done this.

2) I wanted to ask about how the inter-component communication overhead =
scales. I have a component in my router that does something like =
stochastic fair queuing, and I noticed that if I raise the number of =
queues, I am getting very bad thruput. I am thinking of putting all the =
queues and some other stuff in a single element. I wonder if that would =
help.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Elaine