[Click] Click questions

Runting runting at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:37:45 EST 2005

Hi, Eddie, thank you so much for your help.
I already solved the second problem, the problem is that pull-to-push
elements require a lot of scheduling overhead. And also RoundRobinSched does
a for loop to check if each queue is empty in each scheduling cycle, and
this turned out to be expensive too where I had > 1000 queues, and most of
the time the queues are all empty. So I got rid of the pull-to-push element,
and did something else that had the same effect, and I wrote my own
RoundRobin Scheduler that has constant overhead per scheduling cycle.

btw, I don't know if this is specific to the version I downloaded,
LinuxIPLookup code seems to be missing one line.

int
LinuxIPLookup::init_routes(ErrorHandler *errh)
{
  if (_out2dev)
    delete[] _out2dev;
  _out2dev = new net_device * [_nout];
  _out2dev[0] = 0;
  int i;
  for(i = 0; i < _nout; i++){
    net_device *dev = dev_get_by_name(_out2devname[i].cc());
    click_chatter("LinuxIPLookup: dev = %x\n", dev);
        if (dev == 0)
      return errh->error("Cannot find device %s", _out2devname[i].cc());
//the following line is missing
    _out2dev[i] = dev;
  }
  return(0);