[Click] Kernel Compiling on 2.4/2.6.Which GCC?

Sacchi Alessio sacchi.alessio.31284 at unimo.it
Thu May 26 12:10:51 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm currently fighting with the kernel installation.

The click server I'm asked to setup is a SuSe bi-processor 1GB RAM running 2.6
kernel with GCC 3 compiler.

I've been trying (during the past couple of weeks) all the click patches with
their related 2.4 vanilla kernel, but the make bzImage gives many errors,
evenif I disable *any* kernel option with menuconfig.

Yesterday I surfed the CVS repository and found a patch for a 2.6.?? kernel, but
today the CVS seems to be down, so I have not been able to try that.

I instead had the opportunity to compile (and patch) that on a Debian running a
2.4 kernel and GCC 2.95. It worked at the first try.

Anyone has eperience with SuSe and/or 2.6 kernel series?

Would you suggest to apply the 2.6 patch to a related 2.6 vanilla or getting
directly to a GCC 2.95 on Debian?

I'm asking this because reading through the archives and documents it looks like
most users have been working with Debian, but what about other disro's?

Is compiler version so relevant considering the patch system?

Thanks,

Alessio Sacchi.