[Click] ToDump

rchertov at purdue.edu rchertov at purdue.edu
Thu Jun 30 15:59:29 EDT 2005

Hello,
  I am interested in being able to capture 100Mbit flows with very small
packets.  If I just use tcpdump and the e1000-5.x click driver, I can capture
UDP packets with 10 byte payload with only 0.04% loss.  If I run ToDump in user
level then I can capture maybe 60~50% of the packets.  Out of curiosity what
would it take to make ToDump element run in kernel level space?  A reasonable
sized buffer could be used to transfer the captured packets to disk.  I think
right now ToDump uses a pipe to write the packets either to disk or to stdout.

Any input would be appreciated,

Roman