[Click] Questions using click read/write handlers

betamaz betamaz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:33:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

I understand that handler's access and set "variables" of elements. But in
linuxmode an elements never reads data from a file (for example files
created by a handler). I want to be able to tell my element during
configuration which file to read input from. For example, in a file i would
have a list of destinations I want udp packets to be sent to. Since, C file
i/o is not possible in the linuxmodule mode, is there any other way to
accomplish reading in from a file. So far, only userlevel elements such as
fromdump.cc kerneltap.cc do this. I just want to verify that my findings are
correnct and that reading data from a file is not possible in linuxmodule
mode.

Also, is there a way to generate random numbers in Click's linuxmode using
something like a time(seed)?

Before by "virtual file" I was referring to a comment from Beyers made
earlier on
https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2005-April/003811.html.

Thanks,
Bita.