[Click] DropBroadcasts

f2308030 at est.fib.upc.edu f2308030 at est.fib.upc.edu
Mon Jun 13 04:58:13 EDT 2005

Quoting Eddie Kohler <kohler at cs.ucla.edu>:

> Hi,
>
> f2308030 at est.fib.upc.edu wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 1. I want to use the DropBroadcats element in kernel mode.
>> The man page says...
>> "Drop packets that arrived as link-level broadcast or multicast. Used to
>> implement the requirement that IP routers not forward link-level broadcasts.
>> Looks at the packet_type_anno annotation, which FromDevice(n) sets."
>> ...but I haven't found the sentence that sets the
>> packet_type_annotation in the
>> linuxmodule/FromDevice element. I only have found this sentence in the
>> userlevel/fromdevice element.
>
> The kernel FromDevice and PollDevice elements should set this annotation
> correctly.  I'll update the documentation.

Ok, but I don't refer to the documentation. I refer to the implementation.
I haven't found the sentence that sets the packet_type_annotation in the
elements/linuxmodule/fromdevice.cc.
I only have found this sentence...

// set packet type annotation
if (p->data()[0] & 1) {
  if (memcmp(bcast_addr, p->data(), 6) == 0)
   p->set_packet_type_anno(Packet::BROADCAST);
  else
   p->set_packet_type_anno(Packet::MULTICAST);

... in the elements/userlevel/fromdevice.cc.
Is this an error?

>> Since DropBroadcasts man page say nothing about if DropBroadcasts element is
>> only for userlevel, is this an error? or a problem?
>>
>> 2. A simple question. Another element like DropBroadcasts but for
>> IP-level and
>> not for link-level exists already? I haven't found it but before
>> start to make
>> it... :)
>
> I don't think so!  Go for it!  Then send it to the list.

OK!

Thank you very much!