[Click] New element problem in the Kernel level (2.6.11.6)

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 6 11:49:42 EDT 2005

Hi Jalaja,

> Hi,
>  I have written a new element 'MyPrint' meant to work in both user and
> kernel level (Nothing but a copy of Print element with a bunch of
> debug messags in simple_action) and I'm facing a few issues to get it
> to work in the kernel (V 2.6.11.6).
>
> 1. When I run a userlevel configuration containing the element, it
> works fine. But I get an error "unknown element class 'MyPrint',
> Router could not be initialized" when I run the same configuration
> file in the kernel.
>
> I've gone through the FAQ and ensured that
>  a. EXPORT_ELEMENT is present
>  b. make elemlist is run
>  c. linuxmodule/elements.conf has the MyPrint.cc file
>  d. My element is in click/elements/local directory (I used configure
> --enable-local)
>
> MyPrint.cc compiles fine when I run "make install". I tried compiling
> the element with just ELEMENT_REQUIRES(linuxmodule) and I even moved
> it to elements/linuxmodule. But none of the above helped. Can anyone
> please let me know if I'm missing something?

I bet Click is providing the element using an incorrect name.  What
is MyPrint's class_name()?  Take a look at the linuxmodule/
elements.cc file, or send it to the list.

> 2. I get an error "FATAL: Kernel does not have unload support.
> click-uninstall: cannot remove Click module from kernel" when I try to
> uninstall the configuration.  Will it be a problem if I try to install
> an another router configuration without uninstalling the previous one?

Huh.  So you compiled your kernel so that it does not support module
unloading??
That's a little weird.  You probably should recompile it with unload
support.  But no, Click explicitly supports installing new router
configs without uninstalling previous router configs.

Eddie