[Click] Interacting at user-level

Beyers Cronje bcronje at cs.co.za
Thu Jan 20 07:41:59 EST 2005

Hi Dagang,

Have a look at the ControlSocket user-level element: http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/doc/ControlSocket.n.html

Regards

Beyers

-----Original Message-----
From: click-bounces at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
[mailto:click-bounces at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu]On Behalf Of Dagang LI
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:41 PM
To: click at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: [Click] Interacting at user-level

Dear all,

I am looking for a way to interact with a running router at user-level.
For example, changing the behavior of the router externally by the input
of the user. I am wondering whether there are already some methods
within click that can do the job, like live-reconfiguration or handlers?
Unfortunately there is barely any document on live-reconfiguration, and
it seems only read handlers can work in user-level. Or can we just use a
normal file as the interface between user and the running router, and
let the router check this file periodically? Although this is our
current solution, I suppose it is not a nice one ...

I'd expect there will be kind of 'general guideline' for the general
purpose of interacting with the running configuration at user-level,
like accessing the /proc directory at kernel mode. Is that so? Any help
will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Dagang LI