[Click] Jitter

Michael Neufeld Michael.Neufeld at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 6 14:17:24 EST 2005

J Klein wrote:

> Be careful if you try jittering elements in nsclick. Using tasks did not
> work for me in nsclick - tasks got called x times at the same time instance
> and thereafter at the next scheduled event again x times, but not inbetween.
> This way the jitter element with tasks in nsclick to me actually introduced
> network synchronization rather than desynchronizing it. Using timers in the
> simulator worked better, seems like a timer generates a new event at the
> scheduled time.

Yeah, this is a known design "feature" of nsclick -- instead of running
the Click graph at regular intervals, as it would if it were running as
a task inside of an OS, it only runs when timers are explicitly set to
minimize the timer handling overhead in ns-2. You could probably add a
"heartbeat" click element to your graph which set timers at some
reasonable periodic interval if you wanted to make it work a bit more
like real life.

-Mike