[Click] high throughput hardware configurations

Nikitas Liogkas nikitas at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Feb 18 21:27:20 EST 2005

Hello Clickers!

we are trying to put together a testbed for running Click experiments here
at UCLA, and I was wondering whether you could share with us the hardware
configurations (processor, PCI bus, main memory, motherboard, network cards,
Linux kernel and Click version) that worked for you, and that resulted in
high throughput with Click.

For example, I know that Giorgio Calarco from the University of Bologna,
Italy, has been using the following kind of hardware to achieve loss-free
throughput of 737 Kpackets/sec running uniprocessor Click:
- dual Intel Xeon 2.80 GHz (with HyperThreading disabled)
- Intel E7501 chipset motherboard with a 533 MHz FSB and four PCI-X slots
- four Intel 88544EI Gigabit ethernet cards, two of them plugged in
64-bit/133MHz PCI-X slots, and two in 64-bit/100 MHz PCI-X slots
- main memory?

We'd love to know what configs worked for you, and any suggestions for
hardware purchases you might have. Thanks so much!

nikitas