[Click] TrieIPLookup element and routing cache

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 17 15:25:12 EST 2005

Hi Davide,

You're right: most of our routing elements do not have a cache.
LinearIPLookup and friends do have a one- or two-element cache, but
that's it.

I have nooooooooo idea how TrieIPLookup works.  Maybe Robert Morris can
give a pointer; his student implemented it in 2003.  But it does seem
to work (at least based on a set of trivial regression tests).

There is an ARP cache.

We'd be interested in elements that implement routing caches --
particularly if they are separate from the routing table elements
themselves.  A nice project.

Eddie