[Click] Click Vs. Linux

Jonathan Day imipak at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 01:14:13 EST 2005

You're comparing apples with oranges, I'm afraid.

Click is a software router, which should meet your
requirements. (There are other software routers, but
for a whole bunch of reasons, I can't really recommend
any of them. Even the ones that haven't been
abandoned.)

Linux is an Operating System kernel that provides
facilities for prioritizing and shaping traffic,
altering/blocking/redirecting packets, tunneling,
load-balancing and pluggable network protocols. You
also get multiple routing tables. However, it has no
support for routing protocols, path discovery,
multiple paths to a destination or anything else that
a router would do.

(Unfortunately, with the Mobile IPv6 for Linux project
apparently abandoned, there are no working Mobile IP
implementations for Linux, either.)

Running Click with Linux allows you to have all the
benefits of a software router -and- the fairly
powerful networking infrastructure of Linux.

Running Click as a module, rather than in userspace,
should reduce latency as there are no context switches
involved and the module should get a greater slice of
the time available.

If you need greater flexibility, I see on the Xorp
mailing list that people have worked on getting Xorp
and Click to interoperate. (You need the version of
Xorp in CVS, as the current release is too old.) That
may provide you with everything you want.

For other protocols, check Freshmeat to see if anyone
has ported them to Click or Xorp. If they haven't, and
you've the spare time, you'd be doing a lot of people
a huge favour by plundering Quagga, MRT, DVMRP, PIMD
and PIMDD.

For historical protocols (which are interesting in
themselves), you'll want to take a look at early
versions of GateD. Because of the design differences
and the license restrictions, the code is worthless
for anything more than education, as far as other
routers are concerned. Early versions of GateD would
likely not run on any modern *nix system and would be
hazardous (due to bugs and security holes) if you
could.