[Click] e1000 82541GI performance issue

Leonardo can leo_de_rosa at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:26:41 EST 2005

Hi,

I've tested click performance on intel xeon 3.0GHz processor and intel
e1000
82541GI

ethernet controller. Click version 4.3.15 does not support my 82541GI
controller.

There's a  E1000 5.7.6 driver in cvs  so i've tested it with currently
driver in

cvs. My linux kernel version is 2.4.26  and current  driver in cvs,
when i
try to

install ethernet driver with insmod,  gives unresolved symbol error for

"local_save_flags" and i tried Alessio'S solution ( @

"https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2005-November/004410.html"
)
it seems

it works.

I've used these two simple configurations

FromDevice(eth0)->SimpleQueue(10000)->ToDevice(eth1)
and
pollDevice(eth0)->SimpleQueue(10000)->ToDevice(eth1)

with FromDevice it gives 300.000pps at max, and with PollDevice it
gives
375.000

with packet loss. Actually packet loss appears even at small packet
rate
about

100.000pps with polldevice, and  interface statistics shows that  many
overruns occures with polling.

on a similar platform , it is said that "click has achieved loss-free
throughput of

737 Kpackets/sec running uniprocessor- dual Intel Xeon 2.80 GHz (with
HyperThreading
disabled)- Intel E7501 chipset motherboard with a 533 MHz FSB and four
PCI-X
slots,-

four Intel 88544EI Gigabit ethernet cards, two of them plugged in "
(https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2005-February/003594.html)

Do you have any idea about that? I think there is something wrong with
ethernet polling driver.
and one more question  can click handle up to 435,000 pps   without
loss  or
with loss?

Best Regards...
Leonardo