[Click] ToDump with SNAPLEN 0 problems

Marcel Poisot marcel at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 27 11:15:59 EDT 2004

I want to capture entire packets no matter how large they are, so I set
the SNAPLEN field to 0. I tried the different syntaxes just to make sure:
	ToDump( HTTP.dump, 0, ENCAP IP )
	ToDump( HTTP.dump, SNAPLEN 0, ENCAP IP )

However, when I try to view the dump with tcpdump it reports:
	tcpdump: snaplen of 0 rejects all packets

Ethereal agrees that there isn't much in the dump.  "48 bytes on wire, 0
captured".

Moreover, when the first packet is received, the router prints the line:
	ToDump(HTTP.dump): Success

If I supply a number (like 3000) for SNAPLEN, or just use the default
value, tcpdump reads the file just fine and there is no "Success" print
statement.

Suggestions?