[Click] Between Click and the Sniffer

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:39:22 EDT 2004

Hugo Gascon wrote:
> I want to write a program which acts like a sniffer, so how should i
> do it if i want it to receive packets with ToHostSniffer config? Where
> should it be listening?

Well, if your kernel configuration uses ToHostSniffer, your user-level sniffer
program can read from a packet socket (man 7 packet) on linux, or use -lpcap in
the normal way (man pcap).

If you want to write a *Click* user-level sniffer, you can use FromDevice.

If you want to write a Click *kernel-level* sniffer, you don't need to pass the
packets to userlevel with ToHostSniffer; just do whatever counting is required
right in the kernel config.

Eddie