[Click] ToHost and ToHostSniffers problem !

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:22:29 EDT 2004

yacine.djemaiel wrote:
> Adding this argument has resolved the problem but i would like
> to know, if it is possible, why IPPrint has displayed traffic
> while the ethernet header is stripped

Because the IPPrint element can handle packets without Ethernet headers.
IPPrint requires only that a packet have an "Ethernet header annotation", such
as that set by CheckIPHeader.

> and also, why
> ToHostSniffers doesn't work with userlevel ?.

Sniffers like tcpdump expect to read packets from *network devices*, not other
user-level processes.  Making a version of ToHostSniffers that worked at
userlevel would be a little involved.

Eddie