[Click] ToHost and ToHostSniffers problem !

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 26 02:12:05 EDT 2004

yacine.djemaiel wrote:
> Hi Beyers,
>
> Did you know how to capture traffic with ethereal or tcpdump.
> I have added at the end ToDevice(eth0) but i have got the same
> result.
> I address also this question to all mailing list users !

Yacine

Based on your earlier configuration:

  FromDevice(lo)
     -> Classifier(12/0800)
     -> Strip(14)
     -> CheckIPHeader()
     -> NewElement()
     -> ToDump(input.dump)  //or,  IPPrint
     -> IPPrint(PAYLOAD hex, OUTFILE dump-packets)
     -> Discard;

I think the problem is that you have not provided ToDump with the correct
arguments.  ToDump needs to be told what encapsulation type to store in its
file.  This encapsulation type defaults to ETHER (= Ethernet).  But you've
stripped off the Ethernet header with Strip(14)!  That means that ethereal or
tcpdump will misinterpret the resulting dump file, and it will look like
garbage.  Try ToDump(input.dump, ENCAP IP).

Eddie