[Click] packets not seen by click unless tcpdump running

Eddie Kohler kohler at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Oct 14 23:36:37 EDT 2004

Hi Marcel,

1. Your first problem sounds like you didn't set FromDevice's PROMISC
argument to true.  Without PROMISC true, the FromDevice is not acting
as a sniffer; it's just reporting packets sent to *this* host.

2. Queues maximize utilization.  You place a Queue anywhere you have a
bursty input process, where you might need storage to absorb a burst.
For example, say you have a FromDevice that can generate up to 300
packets/sec, and a ToDevice that can send at most 250 packets/sec.
Then you want to place a Queue in between, so that if the FromDevice
generates a burst, no packets are dropped.  In concrete terms, you
place it on the boundary between push elements and pull elements.

Eddie