[Click] STL Support

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 4 10:45:12 EDT 2004

Hi IM,

Your element sounds cool!  The answers to your questions are:

> Now my questions are:
>     1. Is it possible to compile our module (c++ with
> stl support) as an appropriate element and run the
> whole software in the linux kernel?

Probably not.  The kernel environment is quite restrictive.  But, on the other
hand, many STL implementations are sufficiently modular that some use of
algorithms (for example) is tolerable.  The way to do it is to write the element
& then try to load it.  If you use files, however, no way.

>     2. If (1) is not possible, can click send packets
> to our element in the user space with click router
> running in the kernel space?

Yes; see ToHostSniffers and ToHost for the kernel config, and FromDevice for the
user config.  You might also be able to write a special-purpose element that
would be faster.

Eddie