[Click] high performance click router

Giorgio Calarco gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
Fri Nov 19 03:28:45 EST 2004

hi,

recently I've been involved in performance
measurements with the click ruoter together with the
University of Catania in Italy.
If interested, you'll find more details in the Springer LNCS
volume referred to the next QoS-IP 2005 conference
(should be published in february), where we have
described several tests ("Comparative Analysis of SMP Click Scheduling
Techniques")

Anyway, I can anticipate what we've done here in Bologna, I'd tell
you to buy ___at least___ this kind of hardware:

- a dual Intel Xeon 2.80 GHz CPU (with the HyperThreading technology
disabled)
- an Intel E7501 chipset motherboard with a 533 MHz FSB and four distinct
PCI-X slots
- Intel 82544EI Gigabit Ethernet controllers, better if all are plugged to
64-bit/133 MHz PCI-X bus
- avoid to use motherboard integrated NICs, most of the times they are
connected onto the standard PCI
bus instead of the PCI-X one -> poor performance.

We have reached these throughput values:

Click SMP support disabled: 737000 64-byte pps
Click SMP support enabled + adaptive increase scheduling :750 64-byte Kpps
Click SMP support enabled + static scheduling (2PCIX buses at 133MHz + 2PCIX
buses at 100MHz): 1250 64-byte Kpps
Click SMP support enabled + static scheduling (all PCIX at 133MHz): you
should reach 1350-1400 64-byte Kpps

thus, we cannot achieve gb throughput using 64-byte packets, but you can do
that easily
when the packet's lenght grows a bit.

We didn't notice limitations due to the PCIX bus, thus if you can buy a
faster CPU you could reach higher values.

Hope this can help

ciao
giorgio

Ing. Giorgio Calarco
DEIS - Università di Bologna
Viale Risorgimento, 2 40136 Bologna - Italy
Tel: 051 2093776 Fax: 051 2093073
E-mail: gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
PGP: http://www3.deis.unibo.it/GCalarco/Giorgio_Calarco.asc