[Click] A Starter of Click Modular Router

Venu Bolisetty venu at cs.wisc.edu
Sat May 22 02:21:22 EDT 2004

Hi Prashant,
 Sorry for the delay. This is definetely a hard task, but I don't see the
point of re-implementing click, simply modifying Click to behave the way
you want it to is a lot more pragmatic. As far as your questions are
concerned:

1) Standard functions of a router can be found in any textbook that
concerns itself with Networking. In addition, you could also find the
RFC's that describe the design and functions of a router.

2) You can run a config file with the click-install command. Observe the
config files that come with Click. These files have a lot of information
that respond directly to your question about setting IP address of your
machine in the config file.

Advice, install tcpdump or ethereal, they'll be very usefull when you are
messing around with configurations...

Good Luck.
Venu.

%%Hi Venu,
%%
%%I am asked to study the click modular router, implement
%%the same after understanding it thoroughly, see how it
%%works (we have a commercial router tester) and improvise
%%it, if possible.
%%
%%I have been reading the thesis submitted by Eddie on click
%%modular router. I wish to know the following things:
%%
%%1.Standard format and functioning of an IP Router. The
%%thesis assumes the knowledge of this and shows the working
%%model of Click Router.
%%
%%2.I have only the Click Router installed in my linux system
%%(with the help of some guidance).But, what do I do now to
%%test the router? I suppose there is a configuration file that
%%I am supposed to run. How do I run this? How am I supposed to
%%assign some addresses specific to my system ? I would like
%%to know all the things regarding the testing of the router.
%%
%%I am sure the questions above highlighten my lack of knowledge
%%in the field. I would be extremely thankful if you can throw
%%some light on this matter.
%%
%%Thanking You,
%%With Best Regards,
%%Prasanth
%%
%%> Hi Prasanth,
%%>   Can you be more specific on what you wish to achieve? Are you looking
%%> re-implement a Click-like software or are you looking to improve
%%> performance of Click?
%%>
%%> Good Luck!
%%>
%%>> Hi Eddie,
%%>>
%%>> I am a beginner with the Click Modular Router , newly
%%>> installed in my PC.
%%>>
%%>> I am assigned a project for a period of two and half
%%>> months to work on click modular router, to implement
%%>> your router and test it and if possible, improvise it.
%%>>
%%>> I have a decent knowledge in C++.I have gone through
%%>> the click declarative language and found it quite easy.
%%>> I have a very limited knowledge in the field of
%%>> networking (tcp/ip,ethernet).I have gone through our
%%>> paper on Click Modular Router ( did not understand
%%>> everything about it).I am reading quite a lot right
%%>> now on several random topics related to the area.
%%>>
%%>> I wish to know from you the following things:
%%>> 1.The Basic Requisite before starting.( I am also
%%>> not familiar with the linux o.s.)
%%>> 2.The direction in which I should move along to achieve
%%>> significant results and satisfaction in the limited period
%%>> that I have.
%%>>
%%>> I would be very thankful to you, if you provide me with
%%>> this information along with your valuable suggestions,
%%>> because I realize that I am not providing you with any
%%>> valuable feedback or suggestions regarding Click.
%%>>
%%>> With Best Regards,
%%>> Prasanth.
%%>>
%%>>
%%>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
%%>>  -----------
%%>> This email was sent from IIT Guwahati Webmail.If you are not the
%%>> intended recipient, please contact the sender by email and delete all
%%>>  copies; your cooperation in this regard is appreciated.
%%>> http://www.iitg.ernet.in
%%>>
%%>> _______________________________________________
%%>> click mailing list
%%>> click at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
%%>>
%%
%%
%%
%%This email was sent from IIT Guwahati Webmail.If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by email and delete all copies; your cooperation in this regard is appreciated.
%%http://www.iitg.ernet.in
%%
%%
%%