[Click] [Fwd: linux 2.6 kernel support including NAPI?]

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 26 17:36:05 EDT 2004

Hi Seungmin,

> What do you mean “linux 2.6 kernel support including NAPI” stated on click project homepage?
>
> NAPI partially support polling but click fully. I think that click polling extension would show better performance than NAPI’s.
>
> Is there some reasons to include NAPI support with 2.6 kernel patch?

I agree that NAPI will probably perform less quickly than Click polling.
However, NAPI support would let Click work "reasonably well" for devices that
have NAPI support but no Click polling patch.  We have not kept the polling
patches particularly up to date with new driver releases, and the only GigE card
we even support is Intel's e1000.  So I think it'd be great for volunteers to
(1) update our drivers, AND (2) add 2.6/NAPI support.