[Click] Need help: incompatible between click and madwifi

pwangee at UDel.Edu pwangee at UDel.Edu
Wed Jun 23 02:58:04 EDT 2004

Dear Dr. Kohler,

I met some problems when I try to make click work at kernel mode, and at the
same time install wifi with driver madwifi. The system is not stable and can’t
input anything after a few minutes.

The following are the steps what I do. The current working kernel is 2.6.4 now.
I want to install the Linux kernel 2.4.21 since it’s the latest version that
“click” can support to work in kernel mode.

1.	The current working kernel is 2.6.4.
2.	Download click-1.4pre1 and decompress it to fold “/home/click-1.4pre1”
3.	Download the kernel from Internet and decompress it to the fold
“/usr/src/linux-2.4.21”.  Build a link “linux” to “linux-2.4.21”.
4.	Patch the kernel 2.4.21, and compile the kernel 2.4.21. Everything looks
fine. The kernel can work.
5.	Reboot and choose the new kernel 2.4.21.
6.	According to “installation” of click, install the click. The first step is
“./configure”, and the second step is “gmake install”. It looks fine.
7.	Download madwifi and install the wifi driver. The commands are as follow:
“make”, and “make install”. The wifi works.
8.	Now, the system can work, but it’s not stable. After a few minutes, the
system stalls. I can’t move mouse, input anything. The system doesn’t work at
all.

I am afraid that the problem is that the kernel is patched by click and causes
incompatible between click and madwifi. I don’t know how to solve it. I have
tried to use kernel 2.4.26 in 06/22, and it didn’t solve the problem. Would you
like to give me any help?
my email address: pwangee at udel.edu

Thanks

Peng Wang