[Click] wifi elements/new driver

John Bicket jbicket at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jun 21 14:48:24 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a fork of the madwifi 802.11 driver that allows you
to send and receive 802.11 frames (as opposed to 802.3 frames).
This driver will work with cards that are driven by atheros chipsets
(which is a bunch of cards, they're pretty cheap and easy to find).

This allows you to be able to build an access point in click and control
things like bitrate, transmit power, and other things from elements when
using the linux kernel. There are a lot of elements in the wifi
directory that have been written. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot
of documentation (but I'm working on that), so you might have to dig
through some code (hopefully things are reasonably clear).

You can download it at:
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~jbicket/madwifi.stripped/

Instead of using the wifi patch, now you can download this and when you
configure click use the "--with-wifi" option to specify the location of
this driver.

I have finished elements in the elements/wifi/ap directory so you can
construct a simple access point and have been able to associate with it
using non-atheros cards.  Sample configs are in the driver tarball.

I hope people find this helpful. Currently I am working on some more
sophisticated bitrate control algorithms for this driver.

--john