[Click] SortedTaskSched

Giovanni Tusa gtusa at diit.unict.it
Wed Jul 28 19:39:13 EDT 2004

Hi Eddie and Nikitas.
In the tests I have done with the old SortedTaskSched element, by monitoring
the task assignment with the ThreadMonitor element, I sometimes observe some
strange behaviors. It seems that the assignment of the tasks among the CPUs,
in order to balance the load, sometimes does not corresponds to the number
of
the calculated CPU cycles.
For example, if I have:

    pd0::PollDevice(eth0);
    pd1::PollDevice(eth1);
    td0::ToDevice(eth0);
    td1::ToDevice(eth1);

I can observe a situation like this:
chatter: 58869: pd0, cycles 22874, on 0

chatter: 58869: td0, cycles 8000, on 0

chatter: 58869: pd1, cycles 22561, on 1

chatter: 58869: td1, cycles 7369, on 1

instead of : pd0 and td1 on 0
                 pd1 and td0 on 1

Are there some other mechanisms which can take place during the rebalancing
and
the CPU cycles calculation?
Moreover, which are the main differences in the implementation of the new
BalancedThreadSched element?

Thanks
Giovanni