[Click] strange Timer behaviour

Remo Strotkamp remo at nec-labs.com
Thu Jul 8 16:07:18 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

we seem to be getting strange Timer behaviour with click.
We first thought it was related to our arm platform, but
it seems to be as well happening on my P4 pc.

We basically use a timer to periodically create and send
packets. If we use 1 ms as the period, we get close to
1000 packets created a second, but if we use 2ms it drops
to just below 50packets a second only (49.121).

here is the relevant code (run in userlevel):

click config file:
SendSosaetiNOPRISMHello(2, 00:03:2F:01:2E:56, 00:09:5B:91:2F:01) ->
c::Counter() -> Discard;
PokeHandlers(read c.rate , read c.byte_count, wait 1, loop);

first argument is period in ms, second is source eth and 3rd is dest eth
address.

relevant source code:

void SendSosaetiNOPRISMHello::run_timer() {
  output(0).push(make_hello());
  _timer.schedule_after_ms(_period);
}

any ideas?