[Click] Support for IA64 Linux

Nim, Rahul rahul.nim at hp.com
Thu Dec 9 15:29:04 EST 2004

Hi Eddie.

26 needs a patch for supporting ia64 (see ia64-linux.org).  This patch
conflicts a little with the click patch, but I was able to get past that
point by editing one source file by hand.  I haven't been able to run
the kernel yet because of initrd problems (I am a newbie when it comes
to initrd).

My primary reason for trying this out is to see how difficult it is to
write a module in C++.  We have a significant piece of code that we want
to run in kernel mode; the problem is that it is written in C++ - a
situation similar to yours.  I would avoid C++ if I could, but I have no
choice.

BTW, I hope you guys have looked at Reykjavik University's work for
supporting C++ in Linux kernel (2.6.9 only):
http://netlab.ru.is/exception/LinuxCXX.shtml

I don't understand the entire work, but I think you guys should have
done something similar to support C++.  From the documentation it seems
that your patch changes certain header files so that g++ does not
complain.  But what about the run-time support for things like
exceptions (which is provided by user-mode libraries usually)?  What
have you guys done for that?  Any knowledge about this will be very
useful for me!

I have a question about SMP: You say it will not work.  Which one did
you mean will not work: the click module, or the patched kernel only?

Thanks for responding,

-Rahul