[Click] some outputs from peak rate measurement, and questions

Lan Xue lanxue at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Aug 13 16:08:20 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Thanks for those who give me suggestions about measuring the peak packet
forwarding rates. The click router is installed on a PentiumIII machine
with 1.2GHz CPU and 1G memory. Because the for now, the 100Mb network
adapters are the bottleneck, I instead use InifiteSource as traffic
generator and Counter to collect the number of packets passed. Kernel
space
provides around 1.1M packets per sec, about twice as much as that provided
by user level click.

I tried 64Byte, 1kByte and 10KByte packet, but didn't observe any obvious
difference in forwarding rates between different packet sizes. Does that
imply that there's no upper bound for the number of bits passed through
the router per sec, given the number of the packets are not higher than
the peak rate?

Next are the handlers printed out by PokeHandlers, running at user-level.
It was called in this way: PokeHandlers(read ctr.rate, read ctr.count,
read ctr.byte_count, read myqueue.drops, write ctr.reset, wait 1, loop); I
assumed that ctr.count should be close to ctr.rate if not exactly the
same, since there's no drops of packets from the queue. Also, I thought
ctr.count should be the product of ctr.byte_count and size in byte per
packet. However, neither is the case as I expected, as you can see from
below:

ctr.rate:
518795.996

ctr.count:
743040

ctr.byte_count:
40867200

myqueue.drops:
0

... more repeated prints, but with similar values as the above for each
handler.

Anyone has any ideas/comments/suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Lan