[Click] Click polling extensions

Giorgio Calarco gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
Thu Aug 5 01:46:39 EDT 2004

> > it dependes a lot on the kind of hardware you have.
> > Some other examples (in addition to the papers):
> >
> > - Intel PRO 1000 nic + PCI 1.0 bus  + 1.6 Ghz Pentium III -> 350Kpps
> > - Intel PRO 1000 nic + PCIX  bus + double 2.8 Ghz Xeon -> 1250Kpps
> >

> In the above examples, is it machine to machine test or test within router
> machine using InfiniteSource() as traffic generator?

the first one. TX -> click router -> RX

>If it's machine to
> machine test, could you tell what ethernet cards were using(over 1Gbps I
> guess?)?

The Intel PRO 1000 adapter, which is a 1 gb/s card and one of the few
supporting polling. There is a whole family of cards called PRO1000,
just take a look at the Intel web site for the details and the differences
among them. I felt attracted for the Intel PRO1000 XT Server Adapter,
(it has got a copper interface), but there are many...

> What's the packet size for the above examples?

right, I forgot, sorry.
Packet size is 64 byte. If you use longer packets
packet rate (i mean the MLFFR) decreases
(but throughput in bit/s increases till the card
maximum bandwidth is reached - i.e. 1 gb/s)

ciao
giorgio