[Click] Adding a thin C++ wrapper node to Click

Paolo Pisati paolo.pisati at iit.cnr.it
Fri Apr 30 11:03:18 EDT 2004

Hi Clickers,

I think the subject says it all.

This is my situation:

I've a standalone application written in plain C that implements a new
packet classification
algorithm using AST (Adaptive Stratified Tree) as data struct.
After an extensive period of tests and fine tuning we decided it was time
move all our code inside Click to test our work in a real workload
situation.

The only logical step to achieve this, instead of rewriting everything in
C++, is to write a thin c++ wrapper click node that actually calls our C
implementation.
So the next step would be to hook up my building process to Click, and
keep my
standalone version and Click, both, happy.

Let's assume that i wrote a correct node, the only remainig problem is the
building process, so
here come the questions:

is there a standard way to add any code to Click?
Should i modify/tweak any Makefiles and/or any particular options?
And last but not least, is there a particular procedure to follow mixing C
and C++ code?
I'm obviously following HEAD in cvs.

It's my first attempt in doing such a thing, so any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Paolo