[Click] Re: click router

Dan Li lidan at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Thu Sep 18 15:47:40 EDT 2003

hello Kohler,
I have a trivial question about the elements, named paint() and checkPaint(); In
your paper, you said those elements are for checking "whether a packet is leaving
the same interface on which it arrived", if not the same color, the packet will go
to ICMP redirect. Thus, the packet has to be rechecked in lookup table and go to
another interface. but I have some confusion. When a packet passing through the
lookuptable, its route has been determined to the interface(by output of
lookuptable).Now you use checkPaint() to redirect to another interface, isn't it
duplicate on checking router table, and wasting some time on forwarding path?
really confused...

Yours Sincerely,

Dan Li