how to save output in a file

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Sat May 31 18:43:02 EDT 2003

Hi Shilpi,

> I have a small query, is it possible to store the output of click in a file. I
> tried
> click-install config.click > output
> but it does not store it in file output.
>
> And also if i am doing ssh to machine and then running click, i do not see
> output on the machine from which i am doing ssh. I can see output only on the
> machine running click.

Two questions, two answers:

(1) click-install writes its output to standard error, not standard output,
so say 'click-install config.click >& output' in csh, or 'click-install
config.click >output 2>&1' in sh/bash

(2) Once click is running in the kernel, it writes its messages to the
console on that machine, not to standard output. (There is no standard
output for the kernel.) Console messages don't show up over the ssh
connection. You should run 'dmesg' to see all the kernel's messages,
including Click's, or 'cat /click/errors' to see Click's error messages.