how do i set up the next hop router

pradnyesh sawant spradnyesh at rediffmail.com
Tue May 13 06:31:35 EDT 2003

this query might sound very trivial, but i did not find any
mention of it in the archives. it would be very helpful, if any
one could tell me how to set up the next hop router for certain
destination addresses.

actually i am setting up the Click router in my college lan, which
has a gateway. i have changed the gateway IP addr of 1 of the
machines (client) to point to my machine. i want to route the
packets i receive from the machine, and forward them to the actual
gateway (the IP addr of which is known to me), so that i can
access the net from the client. although, i receive packets from
the client m/c, i am not able to forward them to the actual
gateway.

the m/c on which i am running the Click router, has only 1 NIC
card, so i have to transfer both the incoming as well as outgoing
packets on the same interface.
although i know the IP addr of the gateway, i don't know it's
ethernet addr, which is supposed to be known using ARP, but since
i've got a singe NIC card, sending the packet through the same
interface again does not help.

any help will be greatly appreciated.