( Exok &) click compilation problems

Giorgio Calarco gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
Wed May 7 13:22:16 EDT 2003

Hi,

yesterday I was experiencing some problems in compiling
the new click 1.3pre1 and I downloaded the sources via
cvs, hoping it was a known problem and that maybe it
had been solved someway. Anyway, after downloading
the cvs sources, i noticed a "new" directory named exok
not distributed with the tar.gz .
Since I'm also interested in the previous work about Exok
by the MIT, I'm asking myself if I'm right supposing
that the Click can be cross-compiled for that platform...
is this true ? Is it something still very experimental ?
By the way: after writing to C.Blake some time ago, I had
thought that the exokernel project was almost dead, isn't it so ?
New hopes to see it work on a more advanced hardware platform
that a 430/440 motherboard ?

About the compilation problem: during the configuration
(using the --disable-userlevel option ), I got a warning about the
need to patch my headers ... I had obviously applied the
patch, so... !?! (kernel 2.4.18 + gcc 2.96)

Trying to compile anyway, there was a problem with
the strerror function definition ( in particular, the compiler complained
about a redefinition problem). At the moment, the only wayout
i found has been to modify the /include/click/config-userlevel.h
file manually (after the Makefile had generated it),
inserting a #define HAVE_STRERROR 1.

Another problem: I had to modify another file to get
the click-(un)install compiled, manually inserting the
preprocessor directive #define FOR_LINUX_MODULE 1
in the /tools/click-install/ common.h  file.

Any suggestion ? Other people are reporting the same problems ?

thx
giorgio

Ing. Giorgio Calarco
DEIS - Università di Bologna
Viale Risorgimento, 2 40136 Bologna - Italy
Tel: 051 2093776 Fax: 051 2093053
E-mail: gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
PGP: http://www.deis.unibo.it/GCalarco/Giorgio_Calarco.asc