Installation help

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Sat Mar 1 16:36:28 EST 2003

Hi Evsen,

> We have decided to use Click for a project that we are working on. We
> realized that people face many problems while installing and compiling
> click, such as choosing the right kernel version. We'd like to know which
> Linux version would be best to use and any other help that would be useful
> to accelarate things. We are planning to use Red hat but we are not sure
> about the version. Please advise us on choosing the right version.
> Thank you very much.

People have most success with Linux kernels compiled from source. (Not the
Red Hat patched kernels.) I would try any of Linux 2.4.18, 2.4.19, or
2.4.20, with Red Hat Linux 8. We distribute a patch that you have to apply
to the kernel source first. Some people are still using Linux 2.2.21 (with,
perhaps, Red Hat Linux 6.2), because they get slightly better forwarding
performance. But at this point I think most of the problems with 2.4
forwarding performance have been solved.

Also, make sure you use the current anonymous CVS version of Click, rather
than the last release.