x.click -> x.pdf

David Scott Page page at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:52:33 EDT 2003

Eddie,

> Do you mean a _graphical_ graph or just a text version of the config file?
> Click-pretty generates pages like
> http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/ex/fake-iprouter.html -- no pretty

Thanks for the clarification regarding click-pretty (now its function
seems so obvious from its name - I even tried it!).

> pictures of boxes or anything. To create graphs, we write Metapost
> programs; some examples are in the distribution under etc/diagrams.

I'm trying to generate a _graphical_ graph along the lines of those in
your TOCS paper. Blithely running make in etc/diagrams results in:

  This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.4.5) (mem=mpost 2003.3.13)  12 JUN 2003 11:32
  **samp01_examples.mp
  (samp01_examples.mp (elements.mp
  (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/metapost/base/boxes.mp) (fonts.mp)) [1]
  [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]
  ! Missing argument to _elementit.
  <to be read again>
                     ;
  emptyqueueit->...((EXPR3),1,1,push_to_pull,false);
                                                    elemdraw_(SUFFIX2):="drawe...
  l.300   emptyqueueit.c(compp scaled 0.9)
                                        ;
  ?

(Knowing nothing about metapost,) I suspect the problem is the
definition of emptyqueueit at line 273 of samp01_examples.mp:

  vardef emptyqueueit@#(expr s) =
    _elementit.@#(s, 1, 1, push_to_pull, false);

is missing the sixth argument to _elementit (which all other uses of
_elementit seem to have). Naively appending "false" to the argument list
allows the compilation to proceed.

Hopefully, I can figure out how to massage a diagram and generate pdf
(or, take some whiteout to your tocs diagram and scan it).

--
Scott