[Click] how to determine cpu cycles for receive and transmit device interactions

Shilpi Agarwal shilpi at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 23 14:45:04 EDT 2003

Hi!!

Using the CycleCountAccum(), i can measure the cycles consumed in click
forwarding path by inserting it just after FromDevice and just before ToDevice
but i am not getting how to get number of cycles spent in polling a device and
and trasmitting packets.

ss::StrideSched(100)

PollDevice(eth1,true)
->SetCycleCount()
->c0::Classifier (6/001094020740,-)

c0[0]
->CycleCountAccum()
->Strip(12)
->MacEncap(00:02:b3:b6:cA:1F,00:10:94:02:07:f6)
->Queue(1000)
->CycleCountAccum()
->[0]ss

c0[1]
->Discard;

ss[0]->CycleCountAccum()->ToDevice(eth1);

does anyone have any idea ?

And how can we determine precisely if we are memory limited or pci limited ?

Shilpi Agarwal
Graduate Student
Dept of Electrical Engineering
University of Wisconsin