i am a dumbass

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Wed Jan 29 20:25:03 EST 2003

Any problems with 2.4.20 patch?

> also, i have a question about kernel click ToDevice: am i right in
> thinking that tcpdump will not see packets sent to a device via
> ToDevice in kernel click?  It's sort of lame, on linux's part.  In
> BSD, the drivers themselves actually pass the packets to the bpf... so
> the timestamps reflect when the packet actually arrived at or left the
> driver.  Wehre does linux hook up the equivalent of bpf?

First I misread this and thought you were asking about *From*Device
userlevel! So I went and added an OUTBOUND flag to FromDevice.

Yes, it is true that ToDevice kernel won't pass packets to tcpdump. Linux
hooks up bpf via ptype_all (a list of network taps), and in particular the
dev_queue_xmit_nit function. It should be easy to modify ToDevice to call
this function if you give it an option. Would you like this?