TCP encapsulation

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Wed Jan 29 16:20:30 EST 2003

> I thought of using Click router at the Kernel level (for speed sake) but
> I saw that there was not an element that implements TCP/IP encapsulation
> at the Kernel level for Linux.
>
> Do you have any idea if there is an element like this ?. Do I have to implement it ?.

Hi Adrian,

I'm afraid you would have to implement such an element. The TCP protocol is
reasonably complex, and Click does not yet support it natively. However,
you could use a simple Click script to divert packets to a user-level
program, which would then encapsulate the packets in a TCP connection. We
have elements that would help you do that; look for the 'transparent
traffic diverter' in our OPENARCH paper or my thesis, and let us know if we
can help further.