Hard QoS Implementation with Click?

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Fri Jan 17 14:14:48 EST 2003

Hi Ivan,

> I sincerely congratulate you with the New Year and wish you all the
> best!. I am a relative new user of the Click Software, so I still
> have a lot of question about the flexibility and limitations of Click.
> Does anyone can explain me, briefly,the issues behind the
> implementation of hard QoS service providers (like IntServ) with Click? I
> am looking for examples of this kind of implementations, but I didn't
> find any by the moment.

Click comes with many elements that implement diffserv-like QoS, including
hard bandwidth guarantees (within a single router). The TOCS paper, for
example, demonstrates a QoS configuration. But we have not looked into
intserv. Remember that truly "hard" QoS requires cooperation from *all
routers along a path*. Click can't help you there unless you are dealing
with a path that you can completely administer yourself.