click performance

Puneet Zaroo zaroo at cs.purdue.edu
Wed Feb 19 14:37:12 EST 2003

Hi,
I have incorporated some CPU scheduling algorithms in click and am now
in the process of evaluating the same. I would like to observe the
behaviour of the click router under stress.

I have the router running on a machine (P-III 866 Mhz) connected to 3
100 Mbps ethernet segments. Since the theoritically maximum packet rate
that can be generated on a single segment is 148,000 packets per second
(for 64 byte packets), i can theoritcally generate a load of 444,000
packets per second on the router and i feel that should be enough to
exhaust the router's CPU cycles. Is this assumption correct.

Furthermore,since i plan to use click (udpgen.click)on the machines
acting as data sources i want to know how many 64 byte packets per
second can be generated by a single machine (P III 866 Mhz).
Is this rate enough to saturate one 100 Mbps ethernet segment? Is this
enough to saturate multiple ethernet segments?
It would be great if there is some information as to how many packets
can be generated by click
assuming infinite bandwidth (i.e how many packets per second can be
generated before the CPU becomes the bottleneck)

Thanks in advance
-Puneet