newbie request info

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Sun Feb 9 23:12:22 EST 2003

Hi Gawesh,

> I would like to build a dynamic load balancer for a cluster of web
> servers. I know click can do round robin load balancing. But can it do
> other than round robin? What I have is an application that calculates
> the "best server" for me. Thus the choice of IP address on each routing
> decision will be provided by my application. Is it possible to do
> something like this with click?

It is. You will probably write an element based on the RoundRobinIPMapper,
but with hooks for your decision application. For instance, your element
might provide handlers for changing the priority of each server endpoint.
Your application would periodically write the current priorities to those
handlers. Check out the StrideSched element for an example element that
works sort of along these lines (only for packet scheduling, not NAT).