[Click] Click, Linux & HyperThreading

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Wed Dec 10 18:57:48 EST 2003

Hi Giorgio, long time no reply; but here is one.

> - does this depend on HyperThreading ?

Yes.

> - since Click does not use multithreading (right?), I don't
> expect any performance boost from this, can it be disabled ?

I'm not sure. You might see a small performance gain, depending on the
configuration.

> - do you think that installing Click-SMP on it would give me any
> performance improvement ?

Try it! Let us know!

> - if I can't disable it, when i'll compile the 2.4.18 kernel, which could be
> the best thing
> to do ? SMP or monoprocessor kernel ?

Either would be fine.

> - in the near future, I should also install Click an a Xeon biprocessor
> motherboard, which I bought to test Click-SMP on it...
> should I expect to see the kernel working believing it's a quadriprocessor
> system ? 8-/

You can probably turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS, so don't stress too
much.

Actually, it's been long enough that you might have some numbers. If you
do, would you like to share them with us?