[Click] cpucycles in allocationg buffers and pushing

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Thu Aug 7 16:52:11 EDT 2003

Shilpi

> The PollDevice statistics give 4 cycles...
> cycles poll, cycles refill , cycles allocskb, cycles pushing..but the paper
> "Programming language techniques ..." considers only polling and refilling ? why ?

The ASPLOS paper lists "receiving device interactions" (which is poll +
refill + allocskb), forwarding path (pushing + pulling), and transmitting
device interactions (some stuff on the ToDevice side).

> Also in polling device interaction even if we do not receive packets it will
> keep polling so how do we measure exact number of cpucyles per packet in polling ?

The number of polling cycles per packet equals the number of polling cycles
in some long experiment (including polling cycles that did not return
packets), divided by the total number of packets.