A question on Click suyitability for a project I have in mind

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Thu Apr 24 18:20:35 EDT 2003

Hi Jon,

> I have a need to somehow implement a VERY LOW latancy
> feed of TCP/IP packetcs into a shared memory space (or mmap)
> I only need to process about 500KB/sec of data and only need to
> keep 120 seconds total I have a 4GB of RAM in my machine, I
> assume I will implement a ring buffer or an A-B ping pong.
>
> One available in shared memory I will run several processes
> as (readers only) to scan the data and make decisions.
>
> Would click work for me ?

It's certainly worth a try. You'd have to write the element (= component)
that actually stuck the packets into shared memory, which would require
some Linux knowledge. But you might find that polling device drivers
reduced the overhead of packet processing so much that you didn't need
shared memory anyway. (We distribute polling drivers for Tulip 10/100 and
Intel E1000 devices.)

Something to watch out for: Get a multiprocessor, or compile Click with
--enable-adaptive so that it doesn't take the whole CPU.

Let us know how it goes!