Help required for polling driver for 3com gigabit card

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Thu Apr 24 17:19:06 EDT 2003

> I am experimenting with click, and would like to see the maximum throughput
> possible with a polling driver. I am using 3com gigabit ethernet card (on
> linux 2.4.20).
>
> Can you please provide some help regarding how to make the polling driver or
> if one is available for 3com gigabit card.

Hi Sohel,

Unfortunately we don't distribute a polling driver for that card. If you
like device driver hacking, you could try to create one! That would be just
great. But it's a challenge. Basically, you take an existing driver and
modify its receive/transmit logic to eliminate interrupt calls, if
dev->polling > 0. Compare our patched tulip driver to the normal one, for
example.

But the easiest option -- and not that expensive -- is to buy an Intel
E1000.