Polling extensions for 3com "Tornado" ethernet card

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Thu Apr 24 16:58:29 EDT 2003

Hi Puneet,

> I was just wondering whether  i can find somewhere the source of the 3com
> network
> driver (3c59x.c) with support for the click polling extensions.
> I have  a version here at purdue  but the
> implementation seems to be  buggy, and is causing me some grief.

We don't have a 3c59x polling driver, unfortunately -- and boy, we
certainly understand that polling drivers are hard to write :| Let us know
how it goes!

> Under varying network conditions, the above 2 methods
> might be called with a high frequency. Can this lead to any potential
> problems?

What do you mean by 'high frequency'? The methods are going to be expensive
-- programmed I/O instructions and the like -- so it doesn't make sense to
call them frequently. (And yes, it might lead to problems, although it
probably won't.) Anyway, you probably want to tune your
polling-vs.-interrupt algorithms so that they switch states relatively
infrequently.