CheckIPHeader vs bootp/dhcp

John Bicket jbicket at mit.edu
Mon Apr 14 15:26:04 EDT 2003

Hi,
I was trying to use dhcp with a click router but CheckIPHeader was rejecting
dhcp discover packets since they have a source addr of 0.0.0.0.

RFC 1812 says the following:

 We now summarize the important special cases for general purpose
   unicast IP addresses, using the following notation for an IP address:

    { <Network-prefix>, <Host-number> }

   and the notation -1 for a field that contains all 1 bits and the
   notation 0 for a field that contains all 0 bits.

   (a) { 0, 0 }

        This host on this network.  It MUST NOT be used as a source
        address by routers, except the router MAY use this as a source
        address as part of an initialization procedure (e.g., if the
        router is using BOOTP to load its configuration information).

        Incoming datagrams with a source address of { 0, 0 } which are
        received for local delivery (see Section [5.2.3]), MUST be
        accepted if the router implements the associated protocol and
        that protocol clearly defines appropriate action to be taken.
        Otherwise, a router MUST silently discard any locally-delivered
        datagram whose source address is { 0, 0 }.

I didn't know if either CheckIPHeader should be changed or if a GOODADDRS argument
should be added so I could allow 0.0.0.0

-jbicket