Help with Polling Mode

Benoit Parrot bparrot at cynetanetworks.com
Mon Apr 14 14:06:41 EDT 2003

Hi

I am trying to reproduce your forwarding setup in order to get similar performance.

Here is my setup:

P3-600Mhz
2 Linksys LNE100TX ver 5.1 (DEC tulip clone)
Linux 2.4.18 straight from kernel.org (I have tried both with SMP on and off)

Config file: fwd.click
PollDevice(eth0,true) -> Queue() -> ToDevice(eth1);
PollDevice(eth1,true) -> Queue() -> ToDevice(eth0);
---------
I am using a smartbits to push traffic through it. (eth0 -> eth1)
Whatever I try "eth1" will eventually get stuck and no longer transmit anything.
At which point the chatter will output a Queue overflow message on the associated queue.

By monitoring /proc/click/ToDevice\@3/calls I get somthing like this:
0 packets rejected
362433 hard start xmit
371132037 device busy returns
731846 packets sent

with the "hard start xmit" and "device busy returns" count rapidly increasing until I run
click-uninstall and start over.

Note if I replace PollDevice with FromDevice in the config, it works fine although not as fast.

Have you ever seen anything like this? It sounds like the xmit_lock logic goes into a dead_lock.

Thanks, for any help.

Benoit